Thursday, February 18, 2010

A look back, Part 2


So, I chased after another one. This time, it was a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion, in a Palermo Grey color. It's a beautiful metallic color, for what it's worth. The way how light captures it with the lines of a widebody is simply amazing. For $1000, a trip to Charlotte, NC and back, and replacing a blown headgasket/cracked head, I was in business.




First time I had ever gotten this involved in a car. Took me almost 10 hours. Laughable, yes, but here's why. I had a cracked head, and a local guy, Hasan, gave me two heads. One was a cracked 83 head in the end, the other was a good but bare head. So, I had the springs of the 83 put in the good head. Well, when assembling the head, I had 83 springs, with mechanical lifters, and apparently a hydraulic cam. You get that thing fully assembled, go to start it up, to find it just cranking, and when you check, you have 0 pressure across all cylinders. I was stumped to be honest. But alas, we got her running. Also, during this time, before I had gotten her running, I ran into a guy on the local Atlanta car forum, ImportAtlanta, looking for a cheap turbo rwd car. People were were saying older Supra's, AE86s, RX7s, etc. I voted up the Starion, and offered for him to come take a look at mine in person, while not running, to see if he liked it. Much to his surprise, I wasn't black ( apparently I'm an e-thug yo! ), and about a month or so later, he had his own 1987 Mitsubishi Starion.

to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment